Monday, August 07, 2006

Quick Chicken Kurma



Posting after a long time. I just wrote my midterms and got my driving license too ! Midterms were ok. Waiting for the results...it has been almost 5 years since I wrote any exam and I was really nervous. Let's see how I did !

Meanwhile, here is something quick for a weekday meal. The star of this dish is store bought Laziza brand Chicken Kurma paste. The Kurma paste has been a good find. Really a blessing when I am too tired to cook or use my brain ! I also always keep fried onions at hand which I have used in this dish.

Quick Chicken & Mushroom Kurma

About 1 pound chicken pieces
1/2 cup store bought fried onions
1 small packet button mushrooms (can substitute diced potatoes)
a handful chopped coriander leaves
2-3 rounded tbsp readymade Kurma paste ('Laziza' brand)
2 tbsp oil, salt to taste, red chilli powder - if required

Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel & chop into quarters. Clean the chicken & pat dry. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a flat non-stick pan. Add the Kurma paste. Saute on medium heat, stirring constantly for about 5 min. Add the chicken pieces & mix to coat well. Add 1 cup water and the onions, mix well, cover & cook on medium heat till almost done.

Add mushrooms, some red chilli powder if desired and salt to taste. Mix well. The Kurma paste already contains salt, you will need to add only a little for the mushrooms. Adjust as per your taste. Continue cooking till chicken is fully cooked, by which time the mushrooms will be just done and not overcooked. Mix in the chopped coriander. Serve immediately.


We ate this with plain rice & it was very good. It will go very well with Naan & Raita too.

Raita

Mix a handful of finely chopped onion, tomato & coriander leaves into 3/4 cup natural yogurt. Add a pinch of sugar, salt to taste and some water to get the consistency you want. Serve cold.

No comments: